Chris, here is my take on this.  If a student needs an email address for a college
course or for some other school related event, I assign them an address and let them
know in writing that the account will be monitored on occasion.  I just want them to
understand that the account is for educational use only.  For some odd reason kids
don't want that.  I also block all other email for safety reasons.  Our kids are
exposed to enough crap that they don't need other reasons to become involved in a
writing contest with the person next to them or passing jokes to others.

Hope this helps.

MIKE

--
Michael A. Linde