Chris,

In Humboldt, we don't allow students to have a general email account.  We
have set them up for students who need to use it for a college course or if
they need to communicate with someone for a class.  We have also allowed
foreign exchange students to have accounts.

When I was in Algona, we blocked the web email, and we set up an account for
every student 9-12 to use email before or after school which really worked
well.  There are students who don't have the luxury of email at home so this
was to mainly benefit the have nots.  I always gave an orientation to each
new freshment class and other new students at the beginning of the school
year.  During this orientation I discussed the main areas of the acceptable
use policy, including the consequences. The principal also took part in this
discussion. If we had students that needed to use email during the day for a
class project, the students would need to get permission from their teacher.
I didn't have too many problems, and this was without a lab monitor in one
of our labs.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Julie Graber