> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of Brian Mathis
>
> OK, maybe there's a qualification here... the tools I've successfully
> used operate inside the OS after its booted.  If you're trying to
> image from a separate boot disk or something, that's not going to
> work.

Agreed.  If you run a backup tool outside of Windows, there's basically no
way possible to decrypt and intelligently backup just the used & changed
parts of the filesystem.  However, a lot of tools that run inside of Windows
also don't work, because they're not working on top of the filesystem, or
the encryption isn't happening at a low enough level, or something like
that.  It depends on which encryption tool you're using, and which backup
tool.

> Yes, I've been using the built-in Windows tools since they are free*
> and so far I have not had any problems.  I'm not doing complex image
> management, just backups and restores of systems in the case of
> hardware failure, etc...  I have used both CompuSec Free and Truecrypt
> with the same results, though it's been a while since using Compusec.

So that's one good possibility:  Windows built-in backup, and TrueCrypt or
Compusec.  As you alluded to earlier, there's one downside, which is the
limitations of windows built-in backup.  I'll start a separate thread for
some more detail on this...