They are not yet widely available, but they are starting to come out with
self-encrypting hard drives. I'm not sure how the key management works, I
assume via a special driver. I have also read about some self-encrypting
hard drives that change their crypt keys if they are powered down or
disconnected, thus effectively making the data unavailable.