Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Apparently TPM is not a new thing.  Even my oldest Dell laptop (5-6 years
> old) has a TPM, which I never bothered to enable.  I have to guess that
> BitLocker is probably not the first whole-disk-encryption solution to
> utilize it.  Not sure why it seems to have become the new buzz word.  Either
> way, whatever the reason this didn't take off before, I really enjoy
> BitLocker, and am happy I found it.  I'm the only person who knows anything
> has changed in my computer; it looks, behaves, and performs exactly as it
> did before.  I have some increased cpu utilization to perform my encryption,
> but my disk performance is not measurably different from before.  Well, at
> most 5% or 10%, which basically falls into the "noise" of hard disk
> benchmarks.  That could be random sampling error.

I am surprised that no one has brought up hard drives that have FDE
functions.

<disclaimer>
    I worked for Seagate when they came out with this.
</disclaimer>

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hard-drives/
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus_fde_family.pdf

The key is generated on the controller. It works with TPM to unlock
access.  DoD erase is split second, by wiping of key from the drive.

"Seagate Self-Encrypting Drives deliver government-grade encryption
without performance degredation – protecting your data where it lives.
The FIPS 140-2* options are NIST government certified for both U.S. and
Canadian usage with sensitive data."

--
END OF LINE
       --MCP