> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of Brian Mathis
>
> The problem with this, and please tell me if there's a fix for it, is
> that when a system dies and I need to move the drive into another
> system to recover the data, how do I get the keys for the drive?  Is
> there a setup that you initially run, like with Bitlocker, where you
> can save the keys to a safe place?  Otherwise I'd need to rely on the
> most recent backup, which may or may not be up to date.

Regardless of whether you use BitLocker, you can always go into the TPM
administration control panel and export the keys to a file.

I'm not quite sure how you would use that to recover a self-encrypting
drive...  I guess there must be some way to boot from a CD or USB or
something and load saved keys into the blank TPM.

The main problem with self encrypting drives seems to be ... I cannot find
any for laptops.  I can only find them for servers.  Encryption does require
significant compute power.  I guess maybe they generate too much heat on
disk for laptops?  The encryption overhead is necessary to offload onto cpu,
because it has a decent heatsink?  Question mark?