From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
Of Patrick Cable
Sent: Friday, 24 September 2010 11:18 AM
To: tech@lopsa.org
Subject: [lopsa-tech] The FPGA and the NFS mount: A tale of bursty
writes

I have a device that sends out information at 4.7 Megabytes a second.
I have a desktop that receives the data from this device that runs Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5. They are on the same switch, a 24-port Juniper
EX2200.

When I write the data to the desktop on the local filesystem, there's no
dropped information. When I write the data to an NFS share, the device
reports dropped packets.

I have tried playing with the rsize/wsize NFS parameters (8192K seems to
be the best value), and values in
/proc/sys/net/core/{r,w}mem_{default,max} and increasing the NFS daemon
count, as suggested by
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html. Very similar results
across the board.

The NFS server also runs RHEL5.5. It's got 11 600gb 15k SAS drives in a
hardware RAID6 array. Running 'iftop' on the machine during the data
gathering operations, I'll see bursty traffic... that is to say,
workstation -> NFS server traffic will be in the high 40mb/sec rate,
then slow down, and once it slows down the device I refer to complains
of dropped information then it'll speed up again.

I find it hard to believe that a machine on the same (recent, gigabit)
switch can't write out 4.7MB/sec. Am I wrong?

Does anyone have any NFS or TCP tuning recommendations that may be a
little more up to date than the NFS howto that was last updated in 2006?
I'm really at a loss here.

Thank you, more than a lot, in advance..

- Pat

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914.
If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.