On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 05:46:48PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 05:09:25PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:30:15PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > > I looked through some of the diffs and noted your are introducing a
> > > race in calendar_fifo.diff. Why are you changing this code?
> >
> > Because the old code blocks if a named pipe is used as a calendar file, a
> > bug
> > report is here:
> >
> > http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bsdmainutils/+bug/357055
> >
> > Michael
> > --
> > Michael Meskes
> > Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De, Michael at Meskes dot (De|Com|Net|Org)
> > Michael at BorussiaFan dot De, Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org
> > Jabber: michael.meskes at googlemail dot com
> > VfL Borussia! ForC'a BarC'a! Go SF 49ers! Use Debian GNU/Linux, PostgreSQL
>

> Introducing a race is never the right solution, imo.
>
> By the way, your fix does not catch an included file being a fifo
> either. So while introducing a race, it actually does not fix the
> problem.

With a hint from Paul Jantzen I did test this a bit further.  There's
code to avoid having a child runing too long. If you have 20s
patience, you'll see this:

calendar: uid 1000 did not finish in time

So imo, the debian diff not only is wrong, but it also tries to solve a
problem that isn't actually a problem.

        -Otto