On Tue, Apr 06 2021 11:27:21 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Some terminal emulators are using iso-8859-1 semantics of soft hyphen,
> unicode did things differently but those terminals haven't changed.
>
> xterm         printed as hyphen
> mlterm                printed as hyphen
> putty         printed as hyphen
> urxvt         overprinted on previous character
> st            not printed, no space
> kitty         not printed, no space
> cool-retro-term       not printed, no space
> sakura                printed as space

st actually relies on wcwidth(), so on Debian (for example) it prints the SHY
as a hyphen.

> Pragmatically the simplest fix for the original problem might be if
> irssi filtered out soft-hyphen characters like mutt does in its
> "is_display_corrupting_utf8()" function:
>
> https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/blob/master/mbyte.c#L528

Thanks, it's news to me that mutt does that. It speaks to something when an
application is explicitly hardcoding codepoints not to print. I don't
particularly like the 'solution' of every TUI application having to ship their
own fixes for stuff like this though.

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | lotheac @ IRCnet