Reinhard Kotucha ha scritto:
"Giuseppe" == Giuseppe Ghibò <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  > Note also that the teTeX's Thomas work is far beyond than a
  > specific single platform (although Linux is the widespread one,
  > there are still support for plenty of other architectures which
  > maybe in these days are not so much widespread, but still used
  > [e.g. SGI, HP/UX, etc. and that many of us don't have access to
  > anymore]).

TeXLive also supports plenty of platforms.  Thomas said that teTeX is
100% in TeXLive.  Hence, teTeX did't support any platform which is not
supported by TeXLive.  TeXLive supports Windows, teTeX didn't.

My sentence was referred that maintaing the teTeX engine
is not related to a single platform, it was not referred
to the TL engine.

  > I've seen the tetexrpm initiative and that's good, although, I'm
  > scared of having zillion of packages on for each LaTeX style of
  > 100kbytes long. Better a single base and an extra.

In TeXLive you can choose the packages you want to install.  I don't
understand what you want.  If you want something small, TeXLive is the
best choice because you can install only the packages you need.  What
is the benefit of "a single base and an extra"?  What should go into
the base?  But if you need a single base and an extra, it's no
problem, the TL install script already supports things like that.

I don't want anything small othat a typical user user basically have
to install each package manually (or ALL packages that a typical
user will never use). Rather something intermediate
like teTeX tree was already doing.

Sorry, but it is unfair to blame TL developers to put everything into
TL which is on CTAN without beeing concerned about quality.

Of course, they are very concerned about quality.  They cannot test
everything but everybody is invited to help.

  > Maybe every six months instead of one year there could be a
  > release of the tetexsrc tree (with some RC before). And maybe
  > every one year of the tetex tree.

There could be three or for TeXLive releases per year if more people
would volunteer.

I think that the tetexrpm project is a good thing if it depends on
TeXLive somehow.  Let's try to make TL as good as possible and then
derive everything else from it.

  > (I don't think he will abandon tetex as end user...).

Why should he prefer teTeX over TeXLive?  He doesn't maintain teTeX
any more and he said that teTeX is 100% in TeXLive, and he knows the
TeXLive developers very well.  He knows that they are concerned about
reliability as well.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Please don't misunderstand me. I've not said that TL is bad or I'm
blaming it. I've only said that it contains much more things than a typical
teTeX user needs. Regarding packages QA, I don't mean a typical single package
updates, but usability and conflicts when grouped/used together. If we for instance hold a tree where we keep ALL the CTAN LaTeX styles/macros,
then how to check there won't be conflicts when used together? For
instance I've styles

A version 1.0
B version 1.1
C version 1.2

which are the latest styles available. Then B will be upgraded to
version 1.5, then we'll obtain a new tree:

A version 1.1
B version 1.5
C version 1.2

but for instance style "C version 1.2" is no longer able to work
with B version 1.1 and give some error. How to check all these
kind of conflicts? This might be easy if the number of packages|styles
is small, but as number grows and the update become modular
this become very difficult, especially if the tree maybe is upgraded
always and quickly to the latest version.

Bye
Giuseppe.