Sebastian Rahtz writes:

>>> texmf.cnf should not be abused as general-purpose info system. Several
>>> things which used to be in texmf.cnf for some time have been moved
>>> to mktex.cnf. This was a good thing.

>> For what it's worth, I'd like to clean it up some more, and restrict
>> texmf.cnf to path information, while other program parameters go to
>> something like web2c.cnf.

> Can you or Thomas expound a bit on this? What is wrong with texmf.cnf
> having all sorts of stuff, a Single Stop Shop?

There is my sense of neatness (which is something where tastes
definitely differ).  But for example, an upgrade may have to replace
the texmf.cnf.  The path information part is usually the one with most
local adaptations, so this would make it easier to keep that in place.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.