Eva wrote

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:08:09 -0700, Don Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Since one of the changes fixes a bug in line-spacing equalization, let me
> >take the opportunity to put in a plug for this feature, even though it's
> >been around for a while. It always bothered me when MusiXTeX made the
> >vertical distance between systems look unequal, just because
> there was one
> >thing that stuck way up or down in one system, even if there
> would have been
> >enough space for it when the systems themselves were equally spaced. So a
> >while ago with some help from the TeXperts I kluged together some macros
> >that force there to be an equal distance from the top line of
> one system to
> >the top line of the next.
>
> This is something that's frequently bothered me too. Quite some time
> ago I posted about this same issue, and someone very kindly answered
> with a series of macros to insert "struts" in every line to force
> equal spacing. They do the job all right, but at the cost of much
> tweaking as one needs to insert them manually on every line.
>
> Don, is it possible to use your macros with plain MusixTeX as well?

I think so. There are a few global setup commands, including one that sets
\parskip to have a very large negative tolerance. There's no need to add to
every line or to customize the struts, but you would still need to insert
the command \starteq somewhere in the first system of every page, and \endeq
in the next-to-last system of every page. (The struts are inserted with
\everystaff). So if you changed the layout you'd still have to reposition
these commands (PMX doesn't charge any extra for that :-). If that's not too
bothersome, please let me know and I'll write up some detailed instructions.
My one uncertainty is that I'm not sure if they would work with MusiXTeX's
automatic line-breaking since PMX doesn't ever use that, it forces every
line- and pagebreak with \alaligne and \stoppiece\eject...\contpiece.

--Don Simons