I agree that interpreting the end of the Maya calendar cycle as an "end of the world" prediction should be taken only about as seriously as the joke about November 6, 2012, or the rapture predictions for May 21, 2011.

As for the usage of the words "Maya" vs. "Mayan", my understanding is that you are technically correct, and I've heard that explanation before. In actual common usage, however, both "Maya calendar" and "Mayan calendar" are used very frequently, almost interchangeably, as can easily be verified in a few minutes with an Internet search engine. Use of "Mayan" as an adjective has become so common, even in mainstream media and publications, that I can see how people might legitimately argue about whether this is a common mistake or whether it is a case of academicians being slow to adapt to the reality of evolving language. Dictionaries tend to be lagging (not leading) indicators of current language usage. Does anyone know of a reason to prefer "Maya" over "Mayan" for use as an adjective, other than the fact that academicians prefer this convention? Otherwise, I see little reason to prefer one convention over the other on this issue and am content to follow whichever one wins out in actual practice. Thus far, it appears to me that both are acceptable in actual modern usage.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Minton
Sent: May 22, 2011 10:25 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] A warning from the future

As I understand it, 2012 does not mark the end of the world
according to Maya mythology. It is simply the end of a calendar
cycle. After that date a new calendar cycle would begin. All talk
of apocalypse is modern mythology, not Maya. (In modern usage, the
word Mayan is used solely in reference to the language. In all other
cases Maya is used as both noun and adjective.)

Mark Minton

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org