Thanks, Pete, for one of the most interesting postings in a while.

And it makes me shudder to think of the small places in Powell's Cave I've
squeezed into head first. But of course I was always listening for that
familiar rattling sound.

A snake that doesn't rattle, and is extremely poisonous, is the fer-de-lance
(Bothrops asper) of Mexico. I've had some close calls with it in cave
entrances.

Bill