The cell phone tracking is something I had read about but never gave a ton of thought to until I bought the new iphone. On my first generation iphone the tracking feature could put me in a 10 or 20 block area. A little close for comfort but not awful. My new iphone without using gps often shows my precise location to within 10-30 feet. It does this by triangulating my location from the cell towers but then goes a step further using the wifi networks nearby to greatly improve the accuracy. Using the built in accelerometer the phone even knows what direction I am facing...

I'm not entirely sure this makes me comfortable but then again I continue to use it. I suppose the moral of the story is that if you need privacy don't buy any portable electronic device.

Heck, my cat has her own RFID chip. I used to think that using cash instead of cards also helps but now I am hearing that the strips in new money can be picked up by sensors at customs. I've not yet completely substantiated this one yet...

Time to get out my foil hat!

Joe