From: Robert Graham <r...@localaccess.com>
To: chair...@cavetexas.org
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 1:39:32 PM
Subject: cave/cavern questions

Hello.

I'm co-writing a sci-fi adventure story, and would like to ask for help on
several questions (that I can think of now, anyway) concerning tunnels and
caverns.

My characters are now in one of a series of caverns and will be traveling
through them for up to 25 miles. The caverns are both natural and man-made,
deliberately designed and connected for underground transportation. Two of the
group of four have calcium carbide lamps fixed to their helmets.

1. In a long tunnel -  c. 6’ wide x c. 8’ high; about a quarter of a mile in
length - can a sensitive person detect changes in air pressure, humidity, and
smells, the deeper in and down you travel in this tunnel?

2.  Can you feel air moving in such a long tunnel that leads to an air shaft?

3.  If you hover over an air shaft on the surface, can you feel/detect air
movement going in or out?

4.  If you are in a cave, tunnel, or cavern for up to three days, do you lose
track of time?
     Could a person go to sleep for several hours and wake up, thinking it must
be morning?

5.   What significant developments can a person experience in long term caving?

If you are not in a position to respond, can you direct me to someone who can?

Thanks for any help.

Robert Graham
Warshington state, USA
or