I agree, this squabbling over which trip is harder, the Round-Trip to the Back of Airman's versus the Six-Hour-One-Way Tank Haul in Honey Creek, is a senseless argument. Short people such as myself find it much easier to crawl, so the 1.5 hours or so of crawling and stoop- walking on the Tank Haul trip was a relative breeze, but the 1.5 hours or so of thigh-sucking mud slowed me down considerably. Just getting through the entrance of Airman's would be a challenge for a number of the people who were on the Tank Haul last weekend (I know I wound up with the most interesting bruises on my hip bones the last time I took someone into Airman's). One of the greatest things about caving is that it can be such a varied trip, which results in an equalization effect. You don't have to be a great big bruiser to go on a long trip, you just have to be willing to embrace the misery.

But how about this for a fun topic: you ever see those posters in bars of the fantasy golf courses? You know the ones I'm talking about, like this Putter's Dream Hole:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Putter-s-Dream-Hole-Posters_i100274_.htm

What would constitute the Fantasy Grimmest Tank Haul Trip in Texas? The Honey Creek Tank Haul includes swimming, salamandering, walking, crawling, stoop-walking, and thigh-sucking mud sections, but it's lacking some hallmarks of great caving trips. This includes vertical work (imagine hauling a 27 pound tank plus your pack up a 100 foot rope), tight crawlways, mud-and-or guano-slickened breakdown slopes and bats. So here's a start on a description of The Fantasy Grimmest Tank Haul Trip in Texas:

1) Start with the Six-Hour-One-Way Tank Haul in Honey Creek: 1.5 hours of swimming & salamandering, 1.5 hours of walking through the Boneyard and the beginning of the mud, 1.5 hours of thigh-sucking mud, 1.5 hours of crawling and stoop walking; 2) Now you get to haul the gear through the Mudpuppy passage at the end of the Crevice in Powell's Cave. For those who have not been there, the Mudpuppy is not only tight, it has the stickiest mud I've seen in Texas. Let's just pretend that the Mudpuppy passage goes (hey, it might, we need to go back and check it out!). 3) ? How about the rope descent to the swim across the guano-filled pool in Sorcerer's Cave?

Your turn.

Diana

On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Minton, Mark wrote:

   Gregg said:

>Airmen's is right here in Austin. It supposedly has going leads. But no one seems willing to go back that far to survey. So maybe it is harder than
diving Honey Creek.

I've worked on the leads at the back of Airmen's and also on some at points along the way. As far as I know there are no open leads. Everything involves digging. There is good air in places, but it is a hell of a long way to go just to dig, which is why few people have bothered. The potential is great, though, and the cave no doubt goes a long way past it's currently known end. Talk to William Russell about where the "leads" are. I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you. :-)

>I took a marathon runner to the back once. It took him all trip to determine which was harder, running 28 miles in one shot or going to the back of Airmen's. He decided the marathon was harder.

Bill Steele once brought a triathlete to Honey Creek on a pretty hard trip. The poor guy had never been caving before, and he never knew what hit him. We would play with him, getting ahead and then waiting. When he showed up huffing and puffing Bill would say, "Well, ready to go?" He later said he thought he was in shape, but he wasn't so sure after that trip. I don't think he ever went caving again, at least not in Honey Creek, so I guess he thought caving was harder. ;-) (Seriously though, what's harder is a matter of what you're used to. I'd probably die off in a triathlon.)

>Tall people hate the one-legged man, too, though I've seen two different 6' 4'' cavers do it.

I'm 6'2" and I kind of like the One-Legged Man. But you don't have to do that anymore - we made a bypass years ago. Or did that collapse?

Mark Minton

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.