From: speleoste...@tx.rr.com [mailto:speleoste...@tx.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 7:10 AM
To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Breakthrough in Texas Longest Cave

Texas cavers,

The upstream HS sump of Honey Creek Cave was cracked over the weekend.  Ace
cave diver James Brown, now living in the Dallas area, did a cave dive of
about 1,400 feet, exploring and laying 165 feet of new line beyond what John
Schwayan explored and laid in 1989 and 1990.  James emerged in air-filled
steam passage beyond.  He tied off his dive line and looked closely, but he
did not have boots to wear so he could climb up out of the water.  The air
was good and he said he saw surface crayfish.

It was a monumental effort, with Brown and a 15 person support team to carry
his dive gear.  The reason for so many people in the support team is the
extreme challenge of reaching the HS sump, which requires six hours of
travel through the cave using the shaft entrance to this 20 mile-long cave.
Of the 16 cavers who headed to the sump, 11 made it there and all carried
part of the load for some distance.  There were eight loads, broken up into
two tanks, four large Pelican cases, fins, beoyancy compensator, wetsuit and
two masks.

Those reaching the sump were:

Jon Arendt    ASS
Branndon Bargo   Austin
James Brown  D/FW Grotto
Bobby DeVos  D/FW Grotto
Tom Florer  Bexar Grotto
Mark Gee   D/FW Grotto
Ted Lee   San Antonio
Vivan Loftin  UTG
Bill Steele     D/FW Grotto
Diana Tomchick  D/FW Grotto
Drew Whitmore   ASS

Those in support who carried gear some of the way:

Pete Chomack  D/FW Grotto
Chris Cole   Maverick Grotto
Daniel Dase  Maverick Grotto
Edwin Lehr  D/FW Grotto
George Paul Richmann  GHG

We entered the cave at 11:00 Saturday morning, reaching the sump at
approximately 5:00 p.m.  Breaking down the gear and Brown dressing out took
about two hours.  His dive lasted two hours.  Undressing and repacking took
about an hour.  We headed out at 10:00 p.m.  James Brown was the first
pulled up the shaft entrance at 2:00 a.m.  The last three to exit the cave
were Bobby DeVos, Bill Steele, and Diana Tomchick, who emerged at 4:00 a.m.
after 17 hours underground.

Will Harris, of the D/FW Grotto, led a dozen cavers to the Boneyard passage,
entering the shaft entrance after the dive team left.

Kurt Menking (Bexar Grotto) and his son Justin were in huge support by
unlocking the ranch and entrance gates, bringing the ranch's tractor to the
entrance, and supervising the cutting of Mexican juniper on the ranch Sunday
morning.  Kurt and Justin did the Grand Finale loop in the cave on Saturday,
through the very low airspace which connects back to the main stream, in the
surprisingly swift time of an hour and a half from the shaft entrance back
to the same.

A very special thanks goes out to Don Broussard and Don Morley, who
volunteered to do tractor duty.  Broussard slept Saturday night on the
concrete pad at the base of the shaft tower in order to be awakened when the
first cavers arrived to be pulled up.  That began at 2:00 a.m., and
Broussard and Morley were then busy for the next four hours.

I have been heralding the trip to the upstream HS sump of Honey Creek as the
"toughest caving trip" in the state of Texas.  I meant with a share of the
dive gear, that is.  Vivian Loftin isn't so sure.  Having done it, she
thinks maybe a trip to the back of Airman's Cave is tougher.  I'll have to
do that again soon to see if I agree.

Bill Steele
Irving, Texas