John Brooks said:

>Does the new law mean that a permit from the state is now required to "dig
>open" or "rock shave" a lead in a cave or a cave entrance on private land?

      Even if that is strictly true, in actual practice it would not be much of
a problem as long as one has the owner's permission, because no one would
report it as a crime.  It could be another reason for land owners to deny
access, however.  :-(  And if things got really nasty, rival groups could
report each other just out of spite.  Let's hope that never happens.  I can
imagine the paperwork and hassle of actually trying to get a permit from the
state.  This would likely be so low priority that it would never happen.  What
agency would give such permits?  Would they ever be willing to risk okaying it?
 We don't want to go there!

Mark