We need a definition from the State of Texas of the term "cave owned by
the State of Texas.
Fritz

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Creaser [mailto:stefan.crea...@arm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:12 AM
To: Terry Holsinger
Cc: TexasCavers
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Texas Cave Vandal Law Signed

If this law only applies to caves owned by the state of Texas then can
someone explain to me how this helps in the case of the Butterfly/CoS?

Cheers,
Stefan

> Key part of the law is the first section:
>
> "Sec. 201.011.  PERMIT REQUIRED.  Authorizes no person to excavate,
> remove, destroy, injure, alter in any significant manner, or
> deface any
> part of
>
> a CAVE OWNED BY the State of Texas,
>
>   unless the person possesses a valid permit under Section 201.012
> (Issuance of Permit), rather than unless he first obtains a
> valid permit
> under Section 201.012."
>
> Full text of both bills:
>
> H.B. 3502
> (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=80R
> &Bill=HB3502)
>
> S.B. 1524
> (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/History.aspx?LegSess=
> 80R&Bill=SB1524)
>
> So do not dig in a state park......  ;)
>
> Terry H.
>
> John P. Brooks wrote:
> >> So basically now we made ourselves criminals by our own
> hands.....that was
> >> smart.
> >

> > I thought the intent of the law was to facilitate the
> prosecution of the
> > most egregious acts of cave vandalism?
> > Does the new law mean that a permit from the state is now
> required to "dig
> > open" or "rock shave" a lead in a cave or a cave entrance
> on private land?

> > For additional commands, e-mail: texascavers-h...@texascavers.com

confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy
the information in any medium.  Thank you.