Well, as much as I'd like to say the 'bloatation' of Windows is a microsoft
problem -
I've noticed enhanced feature performance hindrance every bit as much (or
even more) in the X-Windows, shareware realm of Gnome (graphic environment
for RH (and other) Linux(es)).
The '2000 release' of RH 7 Linux runs (almost) decently fast on a 233Mhz
Pentium I MMX.
I don't mean way way up there in bogomips, but it doesn't "lag".
But - running Fedora 6 on a 500Mhz Celeron machine was downright 'painful'.
(More than a scant 128M of memory, MIGHT have helped, though)
[Painful also in that it showed me I wasn't "all that" in configuring
Samba.]
XP, being less promiscuous than Win98 has made communicating with my Linux
"droids" impossible in their role as file servers.  Easy still, to FTP or
Telnet, but that SMB thing... argh!!

I guess somewhere there's a perfectly 'well put adage' about how operating
system overhead always increases to the degree that cutting edge hardware
will suffer only slightly.

As an ancient Chinese philosopher, (or somebody in the Firesign Theater),
(or both), once said, "...dig a big enough hole and everybody will want to
jump in."
Or some other wise guy -
"Any foot - sufficiently large, will have a shoe made that will fit it."
(But only the horse led to water will, if the shoe fits, wear it)

-DC