Dear Phil, in fact it is a good Idea and a great work. But...

But there are some evident problems, if I would give you "my" data from "our"
caves - for example. There are often at some projects a lot of surveyors over
the years. So I have to ask them all. In germany the data are archieved until
now in so called "Kataster". Every karst region has one. There is a person
(mostly some) who has the confidence of all cavers in the particular region.
There is an agreement that I am (or my collegues) not allowed to give that data
to an public institution so that these data will be very public in the future.
Only cavers (or caverclubs) who are working for the "Kataster" have an access
to these data. And additionally to that there are some Clubs in germany who do
there data to the Kataster but it is not really seeable for other users
(Keyword: Competition) . You write that is also possible at your website but
only maximum 5 years.

Our Kataster is working with "Spelix" since two years now. This program is made
from a caver from austria. All the possibilities I have seen until now in your
release and more are implemented in that program. But not reachable for the
public.

The risk of your site is that everyone will have informations from the caves
and so the numbers of visits to the caves will increase, I think.

And please there are often "so called" cavers (often from clubs also) who are
taking so such informations, to go in caves during holidays without having
contact to the cavers from that region.

That is not what we want for our caves because it is an extremely sensitive
environment.

This comment is from me personnel. Others in Germany may have another opinion.

Please take it only as an information and be not angry about that (do a look to
my first sentence).

best regards

Markus