Hi Markus,

Not sure if it is the place to discuss about that but as a caver what I see is
that I’m 42 years old and I’m among the youngest cavers of our area (in
southern France), caving is not fun and fashionable anymore so I’m not to
worried about an increase in the cave visits. As a scientist I’m more worried
by the lost of invaluable data of cave surveys. These data will bring a better
understanding karst systems and network and cavers are not aware of the work
they have done/are doing. I had to resurvey 9km of a cave that where lost, and
there are many more lost data.

From your comment I see that “paranoia” seems to be a worldwide behavior of the
cavers being afraid of someone stilling “their” caves, but unfortunately many
data are lost due to that behavior. Don’t take it personally or be angry about
that it is just an observation. I’ve seen the same behavior about the
Grottocenter database (which I’m not part of it) but I doubt that there has
been an increase in cavers/accident/visits due to that database, at least in my
area...

Best,
Phil