Hi Bruce,

> Stepping through the process I take;

Thanks for that detailed explanation!

The main things that threw me were:

1. That Therion is stepping *backwards* along the oxbow - in the
direction of the cave passage from the "start" instead of in the
direction that it is surveyed. This means that you must use your "extend
ignore" in that same direction. "extend ignore 6 5" works, "extend
ignore 5 6" does not. Apparently I am not the only one who finds this
surprising. Also, just to be confusing, "extend ignore 6" will cause it
to go completely wrong and break both ends of the loop (sounds buggy to
me), while if the loops had more stations, it would break at station *2*
in the oxbow, rather than at station 6. In loops with more stations, you
can also break the offending leg in both directions without harm, while
in the data I gave you, you can't. So there are some real gotchas in here.

2. That you can then tell a leg that was ignored to not be ignored after
all. It can have two states specified, one immediately after the other,
and *both* are respected. The first makes Therion change its "main path"
of the extended elevation, and the second makes it draw the parts of the
disconnected passage in the desired direction.

This would make an excellent mini topic on the wiki (in the existing
article on "extend"). I have made a more complete version of the survey
that allows it to show a couple more variations. So if you don't mind, I
would like to use some of your words to turn it into a mini-topic.
Unless you argue, I will start to write this up.

Cheers again, and thanks for the wisdom.

Tarquin