> OK, I give up I think.  It might not be possible to break a loop at it’s
> closing end.

OK, so if even the extended elevation master can't do it, I don't have
to feel like I missed something obvious...

My proposed solution would be for "extend ignore 7 8" to tell Therion "I
want you to break at station 7, for the leg that connects to station 8".
As it stands now, Therion will ignore that statement, since it is
extending that leg in the 8->7 direction. So it will not break any
existing setups if it starts to respect it, because that backwards
statement should not be in any working setups.

Alternatively, some new syntax, like:
extend ignore 8 7 end
which says "break this leg, but at its end rather than its start".

> Another solution might be for ‘extend right 2 10’ etc to be an implied
> ‘extend ignore’ for any other legs emanating from station 2.  But that
> would break many existing extended elevations, so although more
> intuitive, lets cancel that idea!

Indeed. I wouldn't want a solution that changes existing behaviour.
Breaking all of your surveys is not a goal.