`> needless to say, i was not able to tell therion how to break the centerline
for the extended elevation. Eventually i removed a few "equates"
>(the loops closed quite well anyways)

> what about an option to "equate" to tell therion that it must not be used for
> the extended elevation ?
>marco

Thanks Marco
Something important I had not considered.  I wonder what it does to tarquin's
example.
Of course, there are two types of equate, although Therion rightly does not
distinguish.  It was only important for very old software about 30 years ago.

The first type of equate, is that which is necessary to join one survey to the
next.  Without this, you only have individual surveys that are not connected in
any way.
It would make no sense for Therion's extend to ignore these.

The second type of equate, is the second, third etc to a particular survey,
which cause the two centrelines to form loops.

Ah, and there is possibly a third distinction.  Those defined explicitly with
'equate 1@survey2 43@survey1' and those that just happen to traverse the same
station more than once within a particular survey trip.

I imagine you mean that a proposed 'extend ignore-equates' would be telling
Therion to honour only those equates necessary to join the extended survey
network, and ignore all other equates?

I guess 'extend ignore-equates' could honour namespaces, and be started at
particular stations/legs and stopped at particular stations legs?
Maybe...
extend [equates (default) | ignore-equates ] [ [station1] [[station2]] ]

This could be used where the extended network is defined 'in-line' with the
survey data, and 'in blocks' separated from the survey data.

Bruce