You made my day Fred!

This seems a very well working alternative, as far as I can tell till
now:

http://double.tiddlyspot.com/

> You probably won't get around writing some custom JavaScript code for
> this, programmatically modifying either the contents of the transcluded
> tiddler - or simply the source parameter for the transclusion.

Indeed, this problem for the first time made me read some js articles.
However, it's daunting, as this would take me months for coming up
with something usable myself.

> This might be simplified by reading the transclusion source from a
> dedicated tiddler (or even just a variable) and applying that value
> using evaluated parameters on the tiddler macro call. The respective
> control would then refresh the containing the macro call.

Had to read this sentence trice to understand half of what you meant -
did I got it right?

http://double.tiddlyspot.com/#SiteSubtitle%20flex

You already used $1 and $3 within the script, so for the tiddler name
and title to transclude only $2 and $4 are left - this isn't
changeable and made me use the following for the switching link (using
"" for the reserved placeholders wouldn't work):
<<tiddler flex with: "$1" MainMenu "$3" "show menu">>

Or is there still a simpler way? (anyway, this is really a minor
disfigurement, compared to the complexity of MenuMore's method it
avoids)

Now, only Opera chokes and gives the following error message (by which
you may get an idea of what's wrong):
___________________________________

<double.tiddlyspot.com>

[Error:
name: SyntaxError
message: Statement on line 67: Syntax error in call to eval: line 5 :
        var pattern = /({{PseudoStory{<<tiddler \[\[)(.+?)(]]>>}}})
Backtrace:
  Line 67 of eval script
    alert(e.description || e.toString());
return false;