On the other side I understand your perspective. It would be really
nice if there would be more regular developers here at Google Groups.

> well, if you absolutely need a particular shape, but no such Lego brick
> exists yet, someone's gonna have to mold it first.

I see this process of asking and receiving a little bid differently.
For me it doesn't matter on which level a question is asked, be it to
find a particular function, changing templates or writing javascript -
those who know an answer will put forward a particular amount of
effort given to the questioner freely. For example, I'm always amazed
when it takes me much effort to answer a question only partially and
find that, just for example Eric, has already answered the same answer
more than what was asked for in half of the time - maybe with some
never before seen scripts - really ready for print in a TW manual!
Nevertheless, a major determining factor of how much was given remains
the effort on the givers site. The giver can't really control how much
is received.

And if one puts forward effort to give, it becomes much more likely to
be given in return. Nothing mystical about that :-) However, if this
strategy failed one time to get answers, in the overall strategy to
increase happiness it never will.

Of course, care has to be taken that no one ever gets a pure giver and
wouldn't know how to ask something for himself. I consider burnout in
such a case a serious threat. So it's also good not to give sometimes.

Best wishes..