I think if people want a detailed split, then they should use the slicer
edition. The SE uses the sax.js library to break down things atomically.
However, even it doesn't always get it right -- you see remainders of HTML
tags in the sample split. The problem with the slicer edition is that the
result isn't really portable -- it needs to be viewed inside the slicer
edition, AFAIK.

My thinking now is to have 3 split options, probably from a dropdown menu:
no split, split by \n\n, and split by self-defined category. So if you
wanted to split by the horizontal markup ( ----\n) you could do that.
Otherwise, there's probably an unlimited number of ways people could think
to split things.

I'm also thinking of adding the ability to allow the user to join up the
next X items. So you could join the next 3 paragraphs to the current
tiddler, mark them as "no split", and just keep that as one "semantic
unit.". Behind the scenes, the original paragraphs would be deleted.