On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 9:45:18 AM UTC-7, Anthony wrote:

> Thanks so much for this Eric, it's really helpful. Once I get my head
> around your script/code, with the help of your notes, I'll have a better
> understanding of how to do this sort of thing... I'll be playing with this
> for a while!

As a result of writing the example code, I started thinking about the
"timelines" use start-date/end-date to define "single-day events" and
"multi-day events"... and I realized that I could also use the same
functionality to define "annual repeating events" (i.e., birthdays,
anniversaries, etc.).

Unlike an annual event defined using "....MMDD" in an Event List, the new
"Timeline" annual events can be limited to a specified span of years.  To
specify an annual repeating Timeline event, you provide an 8-digit YYYYMMDD
start-date, but only a 4-digit YYYY end-date.  This is used to indicate
that the Timeline event is not a "multi-day event", but just a single-day
event that repeats each year until the end-date year is reached.  I've also
added a separate "date-type" field that can be used to force annual date
handling even if the end-date has a full 8-digit YYYYMMDD value.  When the
date-type field is set to "annual", the code simply ignores the "MMDD"
portion of the end-date, and generates annual events instead.

start-date=YYYYMMDD, end-date=none is a *single day event*
start-date=YYYYMMDD, end-date=YYYY is an *annual single day event*
start-date=YYYYMMDD, end-date=YYYYMMDD is a *multi-day event*
start-date=YYYYMMDD, end-date=YYYYMMDD, date-type="annual" is also an
*annual single day event*

In addition to adding support for annual Timeline events, I've also
completely re-factored the rest of the Timeline code so you can now
configure multiple Timelines in the same file!

* All Timelines are tagged with "timeline" to identify them as Timelines.
* A Timeline is composed of a set of separate event tiddlers, each tagged
with the name of one or more Timelines to which they belong.
* Each event tiddler has start-date/end-date fields with optional
date-type="annual" and caption fields.
* Each Timeline also has an optional "timeline-fields" that defines a pair
of custom date fieldnames that can be used in addition to the default
"start-date" and "end-date" field names.

Thus, you can define tiddlers for people that use "birth-date" and
"death-date" as the Timeline fields.

To see this in action, take a look at
http://tiddlytools.com/timer.html#SampleTimeline, and click on the
"SampleTimeline" tag pill.  You will see Timeline event tiddlers listed for
"Albert Einstein", "Marie Curie" and "Carl Sagan".  These are "annual
timeline events" that mark each persons birthdate, from the year of their
birth through the year of their death.  In addition, there's also two
tiddlers, "Summer Science Symposium 2020" and "Summer Science Symposium
2021" that are also part of the SampleTimeline, but
are "multi-day timeline events" rather than "annual timeline events".

Lastly, note that in the Calendar Settings, there are now checkboxes to
enable/disable each Timeline set of events with a single click,  This
allows you to easily set the Calendar display to only view a one selected
Timeline at a time, rather than having the Timeline events mixed in with
the other kinds of events.

I know this all may seem like a lot of complicated features, but hopefully
the interface I've created makes it all seem straightforward and useful.

enjoy,
-e