On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 6:28:55 AM UTC-7, Anthony wrote:

> So far, I've experienced difficulty using an end-date field in my local
> 'on this day' project - whenever I include one everything slows down and I
> get an alert that 'a web page is slowing down your browser' and I have to
> reload the page to regain control. This seems to happen even if I set the
> end-date to tomorrow. I guess this is something I've done to slow it down
> and I need to undertake further tests with your default 'It's About Time!'
> page.

The start-date is always an 8-digit YYYYMMDD.  If the end-date is also
8-digits, it indicates a continuous event occurring *every day* from the
start-date through the end-date.  If end-date is only 4-digits, then it
indicates an *annual* one-day event, from the start-date, through the year
of the end-date.  To use an 8-digit end date but force an annual event
instead of a continuous event, you must also set a "date-type" field to
"annual".

> I also note that using a start-date and end-date in a timeline generates
> events for each year in the 'view all events' list of the Calendar
> settings. I guess this is inevitable but it means there are many events
> generated for each person or subject and, even in your project, there are
> over 300 events. Will this slow things down?

Yes.  This does tend to slow things down.  There's probably a few things I
can try to help reduce the processing overhead for "Timeline" handling when
there are lots of dates involved.  One possibility is to limit the
generation of Timeline Events to only match the current year.  While this
might help somewhat, it also *adds overhead* to the date generation
processing, since it means checking the year value of each Timeline Event
before it is added to the list.

For an 'on this day' project, it seems one would not want either a birth or
> a death event (say) to be listed in any year before that date so for Albert
> Einstein (Born: March 14, 1879; Died: April 18, 1955), no birth event prior
> to and including 1878 and death event prior to and including 1954. But each
> event would show thereafter for perpetuity. If I understand correctly,
> events would only display between the start-date and end-date when the
> fields are set.

For "on this day" events, I would use an "Event List", which is just a
single tiddler, tagged with "events", containing text that lists events,
one per line, using "YYYYMMDD;description"

Thus, for Albert Einstein, you would add two lines:
18790314;Albert Einstein born
19550418;Albert Einstein dies
and if you want to also highlight Einstein's birthday *in perpetuity*, you
could add a third line:
....0314:Albert Einstein's birthday

However, if you want to highlight Einstein's birthday *only during his
lifetime*, you could add lines for every year from 1880 to 1955, like this:
18790314;Albert Einstein born
18800314;Albert Einstein's birthday (1 year old)
18810314;Albert Einstein's birthday (2 years old)
18820314;Albert Einstein's birthday (3 years old)
18830314;Albert Einstein's birthday (4 years old)
... etc ...
19550314;Albert Einstein's birthday (76 years old)
19550418;Albert Einstein dies

Alternatively, to highlight his birthday during his lifetime, you
could define a "Timeline" tiddler and associated "Timeline Event" tiddler,
such as the one included in the timer.html samples
http://tiddlytools.com/timer.html#SampleTimeline
http://tiddlytools.com/timer.html#Albert%20Einstein%20(1879-1955)
where the "Albert Einstein" Timeline Event tiddler (tagged with
"SampleTimeline") has fields start-date=18790314, end-date=19550418, AND
date-type="annual"

I appreciate an 'on this day' calendar would usually display just the
> current year so I'm wondering whether there is a way to remove options to
> go backwards or forwards in time so only the current year is shown.
> However, it might be interesting to see events change as the year changes -
> going backwards there are likely to be fewer events to display.

See my note above.  At some point, I'd very much like to get a copy of your
file with lots of dates, so I could use it to experiment with performance
enhancements to the code.

-e