This whole thread feels like people complaining that Roam, and now Athens,
are making $ from bi-directional links, and we aren't, even though
TiddlyWiki has had them all along, and then to throw the baby out with the
bathwater, they are dumping on bi-directional links themselves, as if they
were bad and useless. Even a hipster comment like "I was using backlinks
before they were cool" would be more mature than that. Sorry to step on any
toes, but that's the most obvious way to read most of the comments in this
thread.

In my case, I use bi-directional links to move quickly between source
tiddlers, note tiddlers and topic tiddlers in my reading notes TWs. And
since I have new-here-with-backlink buttons that add some of that
automatically, it saves me a lot of time.  Very helpful. The way Roam used
bi-directional links opened my eyes to that possibility. I don't find the
visual graphs in Roam helpful, but many do, and Roam's bi-directional links
make them happen. And TW has the TiddlyMap that can do the same thing. So
that is another benefit.