Okay it's good to know that there is the option of staying with
wikitext and also the option of having dual wysiwyg/html.
So the choice will have to be made on a per-tiddler basis.

What I am concerned with is that plugins that traverse or use wikitext
(the source of a tiddler) will have to be tailor-made for either html
or wikitext. Is there a provision to make them format-unaware?

The data plugin I mentioned in the twdev thread was a prime example.
I'd like to be able to extract records or sections, create tiddlers
out of them, and then invoke tiddler functions on those temporary
tiddlers. It is possible to make the infrastructure for this (records,
tiddlers and slices) oblivious do the data format, that is to say that
that these generic methods would support multiple formats. A html
record could be embedded in a special tag, whereas a wikitext record
could be embedded in a {{record{ ...}}} wrapper. The code would handle
all of it and the macro that is responsible for the data collection
would be unaware of the native format.

All macros would then need to call existing generic functions for text-
manipulation, all of which are tailor made to work on several native
formats. If some macro gets back a piece of text, and calls a wikifier
on that, the wikifier would know whether it is wikitext or html and
proceed accordingly. But this is difficult since text is just text and
it cannot identify itself.

What I really don't understand is that you've gone the multiple-format
+ html/wysiwyg approach and not the wikitext/wysiwyg approach.