> While it may be true in the technical sense that no one will lose
> features, the fact that there will be no backward compatibility with
> existing macros/plugins will have an immediate impact on anyone not
> using the barebones TW.

Let's be clear: if we wanted TiddlyWiki5 to be compatible with classic
TiddlyWiki plugins, we wouldn't be able to make any of the
improvements that are driving TiddlyWiki5.

As I've said, it may be possible to devise a mapping layer that lets
some classic plugins work with TiddlyWiki5, but in general we cannot
have our cake and eat it.

But, nobody needs to suffer, because classic TiddlyWiki isn't going to
go away, and people will continue to use it until TiddlyWiki5 reaches
the point where it meets their needs.

> Actually, these aren't all the macros I plan to use -- I have a series
> of information management plugins that I am perfecting in a separate
> TW.

It's a good list. I'd expect some of those functions to migrate into
the core in TiddlyWiki5.

> You may notice that few of these plugins have anything to do with
> cosmetics, WikiText or WYSIWYG.

If I've given the impression that TiddlyWiki5 is about just cosmetics
then I'm rather dismally failing to communicate some basic things
about it!

> But, since TW can't handle more than
> about 2M data, a macro like IncludePlugin is necessary to bring data
> on and offline.

Surprisingly, I get many reports of people using TiddlyWikis that are
bigger than that.

One of the planned features for TiddlyWiki5 is an "exploded mode"
where some or all of the tiddlers live in separate files referenced
from the main TiddlyWiki file. (You will also be able to implode a
TiddlyWiki, to bring all those annexed files into the main store).
Exploded mode will make it easier for developers to work on plugins
using a standard text editor, and will permit larger datasets to be
managed by standalone TiddlyWiki

> The TiddlerEncryptionPlugin plugin is necessary to
> continue viewing encrypted information.

I'd expect encryption to remain as something best delivered in a
plugin, to make it easier to swap it out, and use different encryption
approaches

> Calendar & reminder plugins
> are essential if TW is going to compete with existing PIM software.

I think a basic calendar plugin would be useful for the core, but in
general I've learned that what I might call the GTD space is best
served by plugins that explore different methodologies, and that the
core TW5 code should remain a neutral platform for building different
types of GTD-type systems.

> The basic search functionality of TW will swamp your story if you
> chose a poor keyword, and interferes with basic usage, so the various
> search engine tweaks are pretty important.

TW5 definitely needs to fix search in the core.

> NewHere and SiteMapMacro
> are important in creating a tag-tree for navigating the data set.

Yes, I think that the core should provide better support for different
tagging scenarios.

> Images in TW view at their native size, making their use untenable for
> cataloging without a plugin like ImageSizePlugin.

I think this should be fixed in the TW5 core.

> I hope this gives you an feel of the experience of a semi-advanced
> user on the ground. The other iterations of TW I have used very likely
> used *more* plugins than this. It would be interesting to know what
> percentage of daily TW users are content with core TW without any
> additional plugins. I would hazard less than 25% ... and those mostly
> newbies.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

> Thanks for listening,