Hi Mat

I admire your ability to turn around mockups, they work really well and
communicate very clearly.

I've actually also thought about having a "help" mode, I think it could
work well, but obviously not something I want to do during the moratorium.

I'm keen to get some reworking of GettingStarted for 5.1.6 (which is now a
few days overdue) so I've incorporated some of your ideas in an update here:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/2698f088517c186705c390362dd516f2709d7141

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions. The approach to giving different
instructions for different browsers is clumsy. On tiddlywiki.com/index.html
we use the browser-sniff plugin that lets us conditionally show material
based on the current browser. To use that in GettingStarted we'd need to
move that plugin into the core.

I do wonder whether these blow-by-blow instructions are appropriate in
empty.html. The alternative would be to have a "getting started" edition
(perhaps the same as the "introduction" edition) that is specially geared
to taking the user step-by-step through the installation and saving
process. Once the user has achieved that tutorial then maybe they'd be best
served with an empty.html that was relatively brief, mostly being links to
material elsewhere.

Note that one feature that is implemented is that the "Saving" tab of
GettingStarted is swapped out for different material when using the
client-server edition.

I've also updated the prerelease:

http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/empty.html

I haven't embedded the video because there are some privacy issues - as
things stand, Google/YouTube would get pinged each time empty.html was
opened (including when opened locally from a file: URI). We need a new
video macro that displays a local static thumbnail until it is clicked.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Mat <matiasg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the tab would be immediately doable (as displayed here
> <http://mockup-sidebar-search.tiddlyspot.com/#GettingStarted>, by Tobias
> apropos another discussion
> <https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1066#issuecomment-65936620>).
> But I think that most of these things (and what I'm about to show below) we
> already have almost all the pieces for. But then, I'm no programmer ;-)
>
> What, as you put it, "sort of help" is IMO not really an issue - I mean,
> you can ask that same question about the help we are currently providing.
> The answer is probably; the best kind of help we've managed to scrape
> together for the moment. Anything is better than nothing.
>
> Anyway, over night the ol' brain decided to bring forth yet a touch; to
> use the sidebar Help tab itself as the area for this help presentation!
> Here are some furtherifications:
>

> <https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JzvH0eJ_7cE/VIhJv2-qcQI/AAAAAAAAO_0/mFe5u-uE_WE/s1600/empty_welcome_help_clicklink_help1.png>
>

> <https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SIBF_SWYeiA/VIhJU2q4TcI/AAAAAAAAO_s/lJf4_cSyIzM/s1600/empty_welcome_help_clicklink_help2.png>
>

> <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Exm3O3K0vUU/VIhJLT3rvNI/AAAAAAAAO_k/cM2UWBdbJT0/s1600/empty_welcome_help_clicklink_help3.png>