Jeremy,

I listened to the discussion in the last hangout on Tiddlywiki's target
audience that you raised in response to my comments in this thread.  I just
wanted add some thoughts to that discussion.

I think the most important thing in working out how to focus the effort,
not just for the documentation, but also for the tool itself, is to have a
clear understanding of what TW's
strengths are.. its USP if you like.  There are plenty of note taking tools
out there, just as there are many tools for web authoring, data collection,
and the various other things that
TW can do.  We should identify what it is that makes a user choose TW over
any of the other tools, and focus on those aspects in development efforts,
since those are the things valued by people who choose TW over anything
else.

I would strongly argue that one thing that is definitely not TW's strength
is user friendliness.. I don't think it ever will be its selling point, and
trying maximise user friendliness is likely to be a misplaced effort, and
could end up diluting TW's strong points.  For someone who needs user
friendly note taking, something like Evernote, OneNote, a Word document or
pen and paper are always going to win out.  I would suggest that the
features that cause anyone to choose TW are A) the ability to have
ownership of the data and the means to access that data, and B) the ability
to use a powerful, customisable and extensible platform to organise
information in new and interesting / useful ways.  Personally, I came to TW
for A, and stick with it for both A and B.

If we accept these as the key strengths of TW (are there other
suggestions?), then we have to acknowledge that the key audience is those
people who care about those things, and not the people who can find other
tools to do the same job in a more user friendly way.  That doesn't mean
that TW shouldn't be made more user friendly, just that it should primarily
be made more friendly to those users, and not to everyone.

Cheers,

Neil.