Hi Tobias

> that could eventually lead to rigorously separating core and ui

The core JS code and the UI are already rigorously separated into different
types of tiddler. There's plenty of modularity at that level.

> As for mismatching versions, there could always be a dependency of a
given ui version to a given core version. Not?

No. I was responding to the suggestion that users should be able to run
different versions of the UI against the core.

> albeit a worthy endeavor that anyone who wishes to explore alternative
ui's for TiddlyWiki can pick up

It's a *terrible* endeavour for anyone who wants to explore alternative
UIs. It's not an obstacle to exploring alternative UIs, and so it's just a
plumbing task that would prevent them from actually developing the
alternative UI.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM, 'Andreas Hahn' via TiddlyWiki <
tiddlywiki@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Am 19.09.2015 um 13:59 schrieb Jeremy Ruston:
>
>> Otherwise, yes, such a split could be done. If you search the
>> core/modules directory for the string $:/ you'll see the dependencies
>> between the core JS code and actual tiddler and tag names; there's not
>> actually that many.
>>
>> But again, I'd ask for the motivation. If it's about reducing file size,
>> then I think there are other options that have less impact on the
>> complexity of the project. If it's about being able to ignore the core UI
>> then I'd respond that that is already possible.
>>
>> Just to be clear, my stand on this is that I'll help anyone who wants to
>> experiment, but I don't see how I can justify working on this (which is
>> quite demanding) for dubious benefit when we've got major issues like poor
>> multi-user behaviour to work on.
>>

> I was in no way implying that you should work on this, but I was
> interested in how one would go about completely changing the UI (think
> applications on top of the TW core) and which and how many ties would have
> to be kept intact for TW to continue to work. So you answered both of
> those, thanks for taking the time =).
>
> /Andreas
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/55FD55F0.8070407%40googlemail.com