I can only ad my opinion from a user's point of view, so I skip the
technical parts.

> * The existing documentation isn’t serving the needs of our users

Despite that, I found the current documentation a very good for quick
starter info. After that the requirements diverge for each users,
depending on the purpose of the TW.

> * GitHub presents a huge psychological burden for would-be contributors

Definitely. I made a GitHub account recently, and found it very "geeky",
both in good and bad way.

> * Google Groups is pretty poor

Yes, I agree!

> * I’m not averse to evaluating Discourse as an interim solution. I’m not
> sure whether it would be better to replace or augment the existing
> Google Group

Some projects I am watching / contributing as a user / translator
switched to Discourse. While it has some shiny parts, like scrolling
discussions, dynamic quotes, etc, I found most of them unnecessary. The
tag only approach it is not very transparent to use. But I personally
prefer hierarchical structures myself, so I maybe biased.
I do not think it is so much better for an interim solution as Google
Groups.

> * I do not favour adopting MediaWiki, mainly because TW’s wiki syntax is
> confusing enough without burdening authors with an additional syntax
> (people will long memories will recall that tiddlywiki.org was based on
> mediawiki in 2008/9)

I checked MediaWiki out of curiosity and syntax is different enough to
get frustrated. :) Also one could use MediaWiki, but it feel wrong to
use a different wiki for our wiki....

My 2 cents.

Ákos, who is getting the cold too...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/65bf2eb6-c57d-0f7d-2cc5-f751fff65ed3%40szederjei.eu.