I have the greatest respect for your work, Mario, and am eternally greatful
for your addon. If my posts sounded a little testy, I apologize, but I am
quite angry, actually. Not at you personally of course, nor at Jeremy or
anyone, but at a situation where I sit here replicating hours of lost work
in dozens of tiddlers and thinking about the depressing fact that, in 2018
for crying out loud, the one piece of software that enriched my personal
and professional life more than any other tool and which I think is the
greatest thing since sliced bread, fails to save my work when I need it
saved. Yesterday, I thought -- as I regularly do ever since the FF update
last year -- about ditching TW and reverting to the half dozen or so
applications which I used to use for stuff that I now do in TW. Because
they save my work without, you know, an addon with all the crappy
dependencies and unknowns and (your phrasing is ironic really) “edge
cases”. Sure, that would feel as bad as reverting to ink and paper, or to
chiseling letters on marble slabs, but hey -- my data is safer than in TW.
I don’t know what you guys use TW for, but I do professional work with it,
precious work not only in terms of invested time, I *think* with it, I
produce scholarship. And TW is an integral part of why I love my job,
because it elevates me in my professionalism. But that also means I *depend*
on TW, I *need* it working. This is why it totally horrifies me when the
one single thing the only function of which it is to keep my work safe --
fails. And it totally deflates my faith in TW that there even is a
situation where a third party addon has to fulfil that function (yes, I
know, this situation has been around since TW2 -- and if I could go back in
time knowing how fundamentally broken TW’s dependency on a browser is when
it needs a hack to be able to save it, I’d delete the day I stumbled upon
TW and had my mind blown just to save myself the heartache of ditching it
many years later). You know, I used to recommend TW to colleagues and
friends, I created a customized TW2 empty.html to make it easier for them
-- not only don’t I do that anymore, I cringe with awkwardness at my own
enthusiasm. They all stopped using it, “Zyb, this thing you gave me doesn’t
work any more, don’t know what happened.” and I stopped trying to fix it
for them, I shrug and say “Yeah, I’m sorry.”, because TW’s problem seems to
be unfixable.

Phew. Sorry for the rant. I guess I needed that if none of you guys do.
Yes, I’m bitter. Please, also, if you’re tempted: refrain from giving me
‘good advice’. I did look into it: TW Standalone is unusable and don’t even
get me started on that server thingy.

Zyb

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c83fadfe-d39b-4c64-8121-cc9b81273a56%40googlegroups.com.