On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 3:33:56 PM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

> On CommonMark ...
>
> PMario:
>
>> If you have a closer look, there is no "table" definition. .. It's
>> missing.
>>
>> AND they don't have an idea about transclusions, widgets, and other stuff
>> that is essential for tiddlywiki. ... But as far as I can see it, at the
>> moment they don't use syntax like <<>>, {{}}, {{{}}} or <$abc>
>

> Frankly, I can't see how dynamically rendered "programmatic syntax" (i.e.
> markup that invokes functions specific to an implementation) could become
> any standard. As far as I understand it all the simple "markups" use
> HMTL/CSS substitution and it is THAT which allows inter-variant conversion.
> But for anything else: WHAT are they substituting?

That's not really the point I wanted to make. They could use those markers
for different things in the standard, because they don't know the dynamic
stuff. ... So the markers are basically blocked for variants. ... but if a
variant defines those markers, they are "kind of blocked" for the default
spec. ...

So who ever is first will win ...

-----

>The lack of Table support in CommonMark is ridiculous for something that
claims to be a mediating standard.

Table markup is difficult and imo non of the existing mechanisms are very
satisfying. ...

For me as a writer I don't want to mess with some ASCII art to get a table
going.
eg:

+-----+-----+
| text | more text |
+-----+-----+

is CRAP --- I don't want to mess around fixing frames, after I did change
the content. I would prefer a descriptive like
eg:

table-title: test
table-caption: bla bla
table-rows: 3
table-columns: 3
h1: header 1
h2: header 2
h3: header 3

a1:
As much text, as I want to write here

a2:
more text<br>
with a hard line break

b2:
column 2 row 2
b1 is empty

c1..c3:
Text that spans 3 columns

... and so on. So I can define content, without needing to mess with the
formatting.

This is just an idea, nothing concrete and misses all the edge cases, we
can do today with the existing syntax.

May be the new grid-css may give us better possibilities already. ...

-m

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c4efc03c-9333-48e1-94db-97b6fc42481d%40googlegroups.com.