Ha! Really interesting issue. Which I'm gonna riff off.

PMario..

> I don't want to mess with some ASCII art to get a table going.

I guess the *ASCII art* of tables emerged wit markups to VISUALLY present
edit text to be readable before render. A central Gruber point on markup.

Your version is *proto-code*, NOT simple "visual markup". Its instructions,
then content. It is NOT the thing Core Markup Ideas are into.

And therein is EXACTLY the limits I'm trying to talk about...

...That additive markup is often a BLUNT instrument. It is a very dumb
(though useful) derivative replication of HTML/CSS code in shorthand. And
nothing more. The conceit its "visually like writing" breaks down quickly.
I think WikiText  tables are as about as far as you can go. And the mess on
compatibility on them between markup systems testifies to the limits.

And so Markup struggles with HTML once you get beyond simple blocks or
spans. ALL the conversion issues seem to stem from that.

When Markup starts to get clever, like you see in Fountain Markup, markup
largely disappears from view. Which is exactly what is needed.

*The hidden message of "markup" is ... you don't need any user markup at
all IF the document has a readable pattern ... so, rather, parse the Layout
Type. Give the editor even less to type.*

As soon as you switch from thinking in terms of "Generic Markup" to "Layout
Type" the issues change.

Your example is very interesting for illustrating the contradiction of
"less visual markup and more instructions can be better." But its hardly
"WikiText" as we know it.

I think its good to argue this through more.

Best wishes
Josiah

table-title: test
table-caption: bla bla