ah, I answered my own question. If the close button always took you to the
previously opened tiddler, you could never close them all except with a
close all button. Also, I imagine it would be an endless loop of the
current and previous tiddler, since when closing one and opening the
previous, the new 'previously open' tiddler would be the one just closed.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c8aa4977-307d-4db9-b705-fe59e9171354%40googlegroups.com.