Mario,

Thanks for your responses. I built a macro for "active todo items" for the
checkbox idea and more; below;

It is clear the processing of pragmas is a black box I cant see in. So
thanks for being patient with my suggestions.

   - The following does work as a pure macro, it is simply to give an
   outline of how I though we may accommodate macros
   - I understand if it is technically impossible or difficult, no need to
   explain why if so.

*I use the below macro as follows*

In this example below the macro is called thus
<<☐ """This is a todo line""">>
<<☐  "This is another line">>

I expect it is too late in the rendering process; but it seems common sense
(does not mean it is) that some pragma could read as such;
°☐ "This is a todo line"
parsed to
<<☐ "This is a todo line">>
and thus call the macro
In this case I am accepting if I wanted to pass other parameters to the
macro the first, the content needs to be quoted.
Eg
°☐ "This is a todo line"  color:"blue"

In this case I am using the customise simply as a shortcut. Which is easier
to read. An editor toolbar would wrap lines with prefix "°☐ "suffix ""
The pragma would wrap it with prefix "<<symbol " suffix ">>"

This is not finished, I plan to reduce line spacing between items, allow
text and possibly more, to be edited inline.

Regards
Tony

*The macro(s) just for completeness*
\define done-check(tiddlername)
\whitespace trim
<$set name=tiddlername value="""$tiddlername$"""
emptyValue=<<currentTiddler>> >
<$list filter="[<tiddlername>!done[yes]!done[cancel]]">
<$button tooltip="click to indicate done" class="tc-btn-invisible">
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<tiddlername>> done="yes"/>
☐&nbsp;$(content)$
</$button>
</$list>
<$list filter="[<tiddlername>has[title]done[yes]]">
<$button tooltip="click to cancel or reset" class="tc-btn-invisible">
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<tiddlername>> done="cancel"/>
☑&nbsp;$(content)$
</$button>
</$list>
<$list filter="[<tiddlername>has[title]done[cancel]]">
<$button tooltip="click to reset"  class="tc-btn-invisible">
<$action-setfield $tiddler=<<tiddlername>> done="no"/>
☒&nbsp;$(content)$
</$button>
</$list>
</$set>
\end
\define ☐(content)
\whitespace trim
<$set name=todo-tiddler value="""$:/todo/$(currentTiddler)$/$content$""">
<$set name=content value="""$content$""">
<$tiddler tiddler=<<todo-tiddler>> >
<$button tooltip="This is marked as a todo item, click to change status">
<$macrocall $name=done-check/>
</$button>
<$list filter="[all[current]has[text]]">
&nbsp;{{||$:/core/ui/Buttons/edit}}
</$list>
</$tiddler>
</$set></$set>