On Aug 20, 2010, at 4:56 AM, Grant Hodgson wrote:
> You've come to the right place - well, that is if you want to devote a
> significant amount of your life in the pursuit of ever-more accurate time and
> frequency measurements....

:)

> If you've only got one source then you need to use the frequency
> discriminator method (aka delay line method) of phase noise measurement.
> Basically you take the output of the source, split it in two, delay one of
> the signals, re-combine the two and then measure the resultant signal on a
> base-band spectrum analyser.
[...]
> The limitation of the frequency discriminator method is that the noise floor
> of the measurement system is often worse than the DUT, especially if your DUT
> is very good, and it's even worse if you're trying to measure close-in noise.
>  The Sherer article gives a good graph illustrating this. If you're trying to
> measure the phase noise of the oscillator inside a Tbolt then I don't think
> that a frequency discriminator will be sensitive enough, although I might be
> wrong.

I got the impression that for "good" OCXOs like the HP 10811 or (supposedly)
the OCXO in my TBolt, the delay line method wouldn't provide enough sensitivity
for measuring close-in phase noise.

> Despite what you said, you might want to consider buying an HP 10811
> oscillator or similar which you could use in a phase detector measurement
> system which is likely to give superior results.

I might need 2 or 3 of them so I can weed out the under-performers! :) I had
originally considered getting one of the surplus HP/Agilent GPSDOs with HP
10811 OCXOs, but I settled on the TBolt since it appeared to be almost as good
(in terms of phase noise), a bit cheaper, and a bit easier to power than one of
the HPs that need 48VDC. Well, I bought another power supply for the TBolt,
anyway, but at least it would be easier to build a power supply that operates
from +12VDC, a voltage that's always available in a ham shack.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/