From: Beth Benoit [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 2:55 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Re: adjuncting

When I was hired as an adjunct at a state university in Massachusetts for the first time, I inquired about full-time/tenure track positions and was told by the Chair that "almost never" did an adjunct ultimately attain a full-time position.  As a matter of fact, she couldn't think of any who had.

I've taught at four different colleges and universities, and only one - a community college - said that if a position became available, I'd be as eligible as anyone else.  The others made it clear that achieving full-time status by entering "through the back door" isn't an option.

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire