This always seems to come up in Abnormal psychology and my typical response is first the "psychology is a science" argument, and if that doesn't suffice, then I turn the discussion as to how almost all medications, vaccinations, etc. have a certain level of possible of fatality, but that doesn't prevent physicians from using them in spite of the risk, particularly if the risks are known and discussed with the patient.  Except in the most severe cases in which ECT is used (and even then, someone who has been designated by the patient or the court), the procedure is discussed, the risks presented and the choice is in the hands of the patient or the person with power of attorney.  That often ends the discussion.

Bob W.