I don't think that there is a single/simple explanation. However, my
preference is to think of it as an example of the hypothesis-testing
nature of perception. That is, many stimuli are open to multiple
interpretations (e.g., multistable images, such as Rubin's face/vase
illusion or the old lady/young girl figure). When faced with such
ambiguity, our visual systems don't seize and hold a single
interpretation, but continue to try out alternative explanations--
which will often cause a change in interpretation. I think that anyone
who looks at that rotating figure long enough will see a shift in
direction of rotation. You can find other examples, such as the
rotating ferris wheel.

http://www.skidmore.edu/%7Ehfoley/PercLabs/Color&Motion.htm

<scroll down to the bottom of #12>

There was also a neat example provided by Gilbert, S. (1991) A new
kinetic depth illusion..., ToP, 18, 55-56. With a simple BASIC
program, Gilbert showed how you could get an illusion of depth, but
then the helix-like structure would reverse direction of rotation as
you watched it. Cool stuff!

Hugh

On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Larry Daily wrote:

> Friends,
>
> One of my colleagues here forwarded the attached image file to me
> and asked if I could explain why the dancer is sometimes seen as
> spinning to the left and sometimes to the right. I don't buy the
> left brain/right  explanation that came with it, but I have no real
> idea why it works. Can anyone help me out?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

> Larry Z. Daily
> Associate Professor of Psychology
> Psychology Department Chair
>
> Department of Psychology
> White Hall, Room 216
> Shepherd University
> Shepherdstown, West Virginia 25443
>
> Psychology phone: (304) 876-5297
>
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> WWW: http://webpages.shepherd.edu/LDAILY/index.html
>
> Adam's prize was open eyes
> His sentence was to see
>                       - The Dreamer
>                       - Tom Rush

Hugh J. Foley
Department of Psychology
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-580-5308
http://www.skidmore.edu/~hfoley
"And I still don't know if I'm a falcon,
a storm, or an unfinished song." Rilke