Hi everyone,
Wasn't the illusion of the dancing woman discussed last year on TIPS?

Jim
Jim Matiya
Florida Gulf Coast University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for the Teaching
of Psychology (Division Two of the American Psychological
Association)New webpage:
http://online.morainevalley.edu/WebSupported/JimMatiya/
Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/
High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers, Pacing
Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at
 www.Teaching-Point.net

Subject: [tips] Never Seen This One BeforeDate: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:45:58
-0500From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: tips@acsun.frostburg.edu

Friends,

One of my colleagues here forwarded the attached image file to me and asked if
I could explain why the dancer is sometimes seen as spinning to the left and
sometimes to the right. I don't buy the left brain/right  explanation that came
with it, but I have no real idea why it works. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Larry

************************************************************Larry Z.
DailyAssociate Professor of PsychologyPsychology Department ChairDepartment of
PsychologyWhite Hall, Room 216Shepherd UniversityShepherdstown, West Virginia
25443Psychology phone: (304) 876-5297email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
http://webpages.shepherd.edu/LDAILY/index.htmlAdam's prize was open eyesHis
sentence was to see                      - The Dreamer                      -
Tom Rush

From: Gordon DeMeritt Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:25 AMTo: Larry
DailySubject: FW: [FWD: Left & Right Brain]

Larry, help me understand this. How and why does this work?
Gordon
Dr. E. Gordon DeMeritt, MBA, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Business Administration and FACS
P.O. Box 3210
Shepherd University
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
304-876-5350

            'The Brain'

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are using your right brain.  If
you see it the other way, you are using left brain.  Some people do see both
ways, but most people see it only one way.See if you can make her go one way
and then the other by shifting the brain's current.   BOTH DIRECTIONS CAN BE
SEEN Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of
the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following
table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

Left Brain                  Right Brain Logical
RandomSequential                    IntuitiveRational
HolisticAnalytical        ; ;           SynthesizingObjective
 SubjectiveLooks at parts          Looks at wholesMost individuals have a
distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are
more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to
favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones.
Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and
accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics,
feeling, and creativity.

 ---To make changes to your subscription contact:Bill Southerly ([EMAIL
PROTECTED])