I completely agree with Rick.

Anyone who is a clinician has all the MORE reason to be extremely cognizant of
the science of psychology; to wit all the crap therapy approaches that do more
harm than good, in which I define more harm than good to include those
therapies that do no harm but while they are being pursued keep a person from
pursuing evidence-based therapies.

Finally, we should all be thinking like scientists in our daily lives; this
morning on the news a recent survey of US citizens shows that global warming is
last on their list of priorities relative to preservation of the planet. Sigh.
People in general do not know how to interpret scientific findings or to know
simple things like: one million testimonials are less evidence than one single
good, clean experiment. Double Sigh.

And as Rick said, the empiricists don't need good people skills but it helps a
lot when it comes to disseminating information and as we can see by the sad
state of dissemination of good findings, perhaps this is an area we need to
develop.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology