The reason it seems totally illogical for clinicians to not understand the
"science of psychology" is then they possess an inadequate understanding
of the crucial nature of systematic empiricism in assisting clinicians in
determining the effectiveness of various therapeutic techniques.  It
constantly alarms and infuriates me how often I have noted that my
colleagues who have a clinical versus an experimental background seem to
not have the ability to understand what type of scientific support they
should be necessary before they use any type of therapy.  Would the rash
of therapists who used hypnosis to assist their clients/patients to access
their "recessed" memories have been so willing to use this potentially
damaging strategy if they had had the ability to critically evaluate the
scientific evidence for how ineffective hypnosis is in improving our
memories?  This is not a minor issue Michael but a major problem with the
ongoing use by therapists of ineffective and possibly damaging therapeutic
strategies.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu